This project is read-only.

How does the web survey work?

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:15 AM

I am happy to see the web interface available for Epi Info and would like more information on how it all works. 

My questions are:

What are the steps to  publish forms to the web?

What is the format of the "Organization Key"?

Thank you in advance!

Sep 24, 2012 at 4:48 AM

Have you figured this out?  I'm in the same boat.  Where do you get an "Organization Key" to post your survey to the web?  I can't find any documentation on this.

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Hello JCanch,

Sorry for the late response.  I learned from the CDC help desk, that the web survey feature was not enabled/released as part of the Sep 2012 update.  I did not receive an update as to when it will be functional and available for use.

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:53 AM

CORRECTION: my last response should have reference the Aug 9, 2012 release, and not a Sep 2012 release/update. Thanks!

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:20 AM
Edited Dec 31, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Hi All,

I have recently raised this question in the phConnect Epi-info forums as well. I have been told that some applet needs to be installed but I am not sure what is this applet for Web Survey  / Organization key. Though the devil is in the details which appear to be missing as of now. However am myself eagerly awaiting this feature to be functional. Hopefully, the same would happen sooner than later.

Thanks

Vivek

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:22 AM
Were there any updates regarding the organization key or applet? I got the app for the tablet. But the download for the epi info web survey is empty. Having the web survey would really be useful. Thank you.
Feb 23, 2013 at 5:24 AM
Sorry, There were no updates.
Jul 10, 2013 at 2:57 PM
I am glad, it worked for me.

Just send me an email, i wil give you a steps by steps guide

See u
Jul 10, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Hi.
Can you please email the steps to [email removed]

Thanks and regards
Vivek

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:48 AM
drguptavivek wrote:
Hi. Can you please email the steps to [email removed] Thanks and regards Vivek
constyekani at y a h o o dot fr
Aug 7, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Edited Aug 7, 2013 at 11:33 AM
GUY456 wrote:
drguptavivek wrote:
Hi. Can you please email the steps to [email removed] Thanks and regards Vivek
constyekani at y a h o o dot fr
Hi, do please email the steps nyap@oxfam.org.uk Thanks a lot!
Aug 8, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Sorry but that person has not shared the steps and asked me for payment to share the steps. I declined him.
V

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:26 AM
Edited Sep 7, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Dr. I don't like the diffamation, If you dont have skill to perform these steps, just ask to a IT consultant to help you.

Please find an example of Community Opinion Web Survey : http://cm-minsante-sis.com/EpiInfoWebSurvey/Home/75d72557-1b16-4224-b728-616e0a17d113

Otherwise, I know that your consultant fees are not free, as we can see on http://www.namastedoc.com/vivek-gupta
Aug 9, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Yeah
Just about and Dr Vivek Gupta whose profile you dig up anywhere on the www is me now. You make me wanna laugh and cry at the same time. Truly, ignorance is bliss sometimes.

Adios. Any further direct communication from you will not be replied to.

V

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:11 PM
It's a shame what happened back in august. Specially when this is such a great tool and when googling epi info web survey, what apears is this ugly awful conversation.

Ok, for anyone who is interested in the web survey, a bit of explanation of what this is:
  1. The Web Survey Project is an open source c# WPF/WCF Solution. It is not a prepared software solution that you can install and run. It's a blessing to have the software available for free from the CDC. But the people who wrote the software were paid by the CDC to create a readily available and installable software solution that also happens to connect to the community solution you see here. The solution in the CDC site and this project are not one and the same. Although they use the same codebase but are actually different projects.
  2. Back in 2012 Lyonac asked what is The Organization Key?. The Organization Key is merely a GUID (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globally_unique_identifier) which is merely some random number such as 21EF2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002C30309D it is NOT some number that you need to register anywhere, Its is simply a unique identifier that helps the web service work and not confuse your organization with any other.
  3. There is no such a thing as an "applet" that you need to install anywhere. You may call it an "Applet" if you like, but what you actually need to install is a .svc wcf output web site, that is configured for your proper needs (server, database and network configuration). Now if you enter your copy of the Epi Info 7 software you'll notice when trying to publish a form to the web that the program asks you to enter the "ENDPOINT ADDRESS" and also it asks you to enter a Windows Authentication, or a "Binding Protocol" those 3 fields are WCF configuration parameters. Since not everyone knows WCF. It's probably best if a proper IT consultant with complete knowledge of these issues configures these for you. If the IT consultant is not working already in your organization, or it's a really cool/good friend, chances are that the guy/girl will ask for a fee for his/her work, after all, IT dudes gotta eat, right?
  4. Now, for the people who actually want to learn how to go about making this project work for you, you need to fulfill this prerequisites:
  5. Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional or superior.
  6. Microsoft IIS 7 or superior (it actually works on 6 but it's a bit more difficult to implement)
  7. Microsoft SQL Server (not mandatory, you can also use MDB Access Files if the survey is small and won't be used by more than 15 people)
Good luck!
Feb 26, 2014 at 3:59 AM
Thanks Ernesto
That is indeed very helpful. The conversation started out of curiosity and ideas for the use of this functionality. Now many of us like to do things ourselves and epiInfo provides researchers with the ability to be highly innovative.
When i saw the WebSurvey, i went like this can be very very useful for multi-point data entry. I did have IIS 7 installed and SQLexpress as well but have no access to the VS Pro. I do not have any funding and would not like to spend 1000 USD just to satisfy my curiosity.
I do understand the need for IT team if running an organization level setup but many like myself are individual users. Therefore we like to help each other out in the pHConnect forums. We certainly never ask for any fees for it.
Now that you have provided these pointers, i am going to give it an honest try again.
Thanks again for the background as well as the pointers.
Will you be able to tell that do we need to set up the sql database (fields, tables etc) ourselves or EpiInfo will do it for us?
Vivek

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:04 AM
EpiInfo creates the database for you!

Again, If you don't have an IT in your organization, I would strongly suggest Access Mdb instead of Sql Server. Because of portability, the data that comes out of the Epi Info Forms, you will probably want to share it with other people. When doing so, It's so much easier to do it on a simple Access mdb, than to use the full force of the Sql Server database (unless you're already familiar with the usage of this database tool).

Epi Info in that area is really helpful, because when creating a form, it also suggests a field name, and it creates the types accordingly to the controls that you add to your form.

There is an entire area to make analysis of your data, so the best bet you have right now is to play with a form, fill it with fields, enter data and play with the statistical tools that are on the Epi Info Visual Dashboard or Classic Data Analysis. Then go around making as many forms as you need.

For the sake of the project nature. The CDC or the members of the team that created this project, should invest a bit of time and resources in creating a web survey exporting tool that works with PHP, jQuery and MySQL. Which are the most popular free tools that are also the cheapest, fastest and easiest to implement for a web solution under a low budget.

I would help the project myself, but as most of the oher guys in IT, my kids gotta eat too :D

Finally, Remember that this is a public conversation, If anyone that reads this knows a way to get funding for such an enhancement. It would be greatly appreciated by an entire army of medical researchers all over the world, and although the Epi Info tool was created for analytical solutions for health professionals, it actually would help anyone and everyone that needs to create forms for data that needs to be analized. Which is pretty much every single professional career.

Cheers!